Sunday 28 February 2010

Arthur Rackham








I find Rackham's illustrations for childrens book's actually quite sinister and dark. Alot of his characters are I would say quite sinister and creepy; most of his illustrations have very dull and dark colours and his style is very realistic and would be more appealing for adults I would think. Although his work is from the early twentieth century so I understand why this is so. I think his illustrations are beautiful and very intricate, and he obviously had a brilliant imagination. I have chosen to include his work as not only do i enjoy his work, but I think it is related to my project in the sense that alot of his illustrations feature strange creatures from stories which i think links with the "freaks" in my own work. His illustrations are very fine art I would say and not what I would personally consider typical illustration. In my own work I have allways been more fine art but have started to be more illustrative, although I would defintely look at Rackham's work to influence my own style.


No comments:

Post a Comment